11 During the inauguration of the 11th edition of the Terespol caroling HE Archbishop Abel – primate of the Lublin-Chelm Orthodox Diocese uttered:
We continue Christmas in the second half of January. Not so long ago we shared bread, today we share a song, a Carol – a paraliturgic word of God. I bless everyone and consider the 11th International Festival of East Slavic Carols in Terespol to be open.
Jaroslaw Zdrojewski Head of Lublin region appeared on the stage, with a short speech and told: .
I spent my childhood not in southern Podlasie, but a little higher, more north. Therefore, the songs, music and customs of the Orthodox Church are well known to me. Therefore, I wish everyone many unique impressions and a true spiritual feast.
Edward Wojtas Head of the Lublin Region, did not personally take part in the Festival, but sent a letter to the organizers and participants, which reads:
From year to year there is a growing range of your Festival, which is attended by artists from the country and abroad. This indicates the popularity of your Caroling, which is an excellent opportunity to exchange experiences, as well as make contacts. I hope that Terespol Caroling is an event that will gain importance and popularity from year to year. I hope that this year’s Festival will bring the power of unforgettable impressions and will be remembered by participants and spectators.
This festival, for the organizers was not easy. Due to severe frosts, many excellent choirs did not arrive, mainly from Ukraine and Belarus. In addition, not all foreign groups from outside the European Union have dealt with visas in time, so the number of artists has fallen to 23 (from 34 compared to last year).
As in previous years, also during this edition, small parish village choirs collided on the stage of the Municipal Cultural Centre, where every day it is extremely difficult to gather everyone for trials, with numerous city choirs, where very often many of them have completed vocal classes at renowned universities.
Saturday – Day I
- Already on the first day of the auditions, a small choir from reactivated a few years ago orthodox parish in Kostomloty, bravely faced the Band “Lileja” of the State School of Music from Ukraine, accompanous on banduras, or a multi-voice mixed choir from the Orthodox parish of The Dormition of Mary the Theotokos from Bielsk Podlaski. Beautifully sung, with perfectly set voices, the well-known carol “Tichaja Nowyna” perhaps determined that the Grand Prix of the Festival after the first day of caroling got into the hands of this wonderful band.
- The audience award, just like a year ago, was sung by the Lublin children’s and youth choir “La Musica” under the direction of Zdzislaw Ohar.
The winners left with cash prizes and brass statues of carolers, icons and commemorative diplomas.
- The verdict of the choir conductors who award the Grand Prix on the first day was probably not clear, because in the opinion of many, this award should go to Brest, to the Cathedral of Resurrection. This choir, a well-set, four-voice mixed, all carols performed masterfully, and the old and well-known carol “Ticha nocz nad Palestinoj” stunned a large Terespol audience. Therefore, one of the sponsors, who asked to remain anonymous, also funded a special cash prize. The amount of this prize also remained unknown.
On the first day of the festival auditions, the ceremonial groups, which were missing a year ago, could also appeal.
- With thunderous applause, the Terespol audience was rewarded by the band “Ranok” from Bielsk Podlaski, who caroled with the star and in Ukrainian folk costumes. Similarly, the children’s band “Namysto” from Lviv stood out, who sang carols from Transcarpathia accompanied himself on bagpipes.
- In disguise, known in our region and ing understandable interest of the youngest, there was a Lublin theatre band “Kulbaba”, presenting well-known skits and New Year’s carol scenes. There was no end to laughter and applause, because many mainly elderly residents of southern Podlasie could remember the good old days, where the rite of walking on the Carol was a permanent part of Christmas customs.
- On the first day, the Terespol audience could still watch the performance of the bial choir PSS Społem and the Lublin vocal band “Palanodija”.
Sunday – Day II
- The second day of the Terespol caroling began with the choir of the Orthodox parish in Koden
- as well as the Brotherhood of Orthodox Youth from Biala Podlaska.
- They were followed by the Bialystok choir “Ichos” from the Center for Orthodox Culture. Fully completed, four-voice mixed youth choir, moodily performed beautiful old Orthodox Carols.
- In turn, the Bialystok choir Schola “Cantorum Misericordi Christi” under the direction of Piotr Karwowski, singing repeatedly with “Poznan Słowiki”, daringly presented well-known Polish Carols and two of eastern Churches.
- At a similarly high level of music presented a choir from the Orthodox parish in Siemiatycze
- and “Blahodar” from the Wroslaw-Szczecin Orthodox Diocese; this mixed, youthful, multi-voice choir was exceptionally appealing to the demanding Terespol audience, because it almost unanimously awarded it its prize.
- In turn, the choir of the Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Warsaw sang the Grand Prix prize without appeal. Many of the performers of this choir are professionals, for whom singing is a job, but at the same time as they admit great pleasure.
On the second day of the carol, the audience was still entertained by:
- Band “Wiesiolka” from Brest
- Orthodox Parish Choir Slawatycze
- music family from Germany
- excellent “Volhynian Bells” from Lutsk, Ukraine, traditionally performed with elements of Christmas wishes in Ukrainian folk costumes.
- In a similar caroling, mood accompanied by flute, guitar and percussion instruments, there was a local children’s choir “Corda Vox” under the direction of Tomasz Jezuit
- as well as the funny cabaret “Gnat” from Terespol in a specially prepared carol repertoire.
In total, more than 500 artists performed in the 11th edition, who sang over 120 Orthodox Carols and from the area of the Western Church in two days.
The Terespol Festival already has its audience not only local but also in the depths of the country. With joy, christmas carol lovers from Warsaw, Lublin or Ciechocinek come to Terespol. Zofia Pienkowska from Tuczna in the District of Biala Podlaska so confided to the editor Istvan Grabowski from the “Word of Podlasie”:
I’m happy to be here today. I came with my friends for good patterns, because we sing together in the choir, but we didn’t have the courage to perform on stage yet. So many great performers here. I was heartbroken by youth bands with graceful voices.
Pawel Rudczyk, on the other hand, remembers the Terespol caroling in the weekly “Word of Podlasie”:
I grew up in an atmosphere of Orthodox singing, which was once almost common in the vicinity of Terespol. You participate in an extraordinary mystery. The festival strengthens people in faith and allows you to delight in the slaughter music.
Vladimir Miszula, conductor and director of the Private Music School of the 1st and 2nd degree in Biala Podlaska, praises the idea of inviting performers from across the eastern border:
Orthodox choirs sing wonderfully not only Christmas carols. Feel the mystique in their execution. I do not know if there is still such event as in Terespol.
In turn, Zbigniew Banach – mayor of Terespol confessed sincerely that he has been listening to the Festival for 11 years and:
- Ministry of Culture and National Heritage in Warsaw
- Marshal’s Office in Lublin
- Lublin-Chelm Orthodox Diocese
- District Office in Biała Podlaska
- Terespol City Hall
- Polkomtel S.A. from Warsaw
- “Petrolot” Warsaw
- Zalesie Municipal Office
- “Pol-Kres” from Biala Podlaska
- SGS Warsaw, Poland
- Cooperative Dairy “Spomlek” in Radzyn Podlaski
- Agricultural Real Estate Agency in Lublin
- “Transgaz ” S. A. in Zalesie
- “Krex ” Ltd . . from Bielsk Podlaski
- Joseph and Alicja from Sławatycze
- “Avena” of the Kaluzynski from Koden
- Cooperative Bank in Terespol
- PGKiM in Terespol
- Notary office in Terespol
- Polish Economic Consortium in Koroszczyna
- Dr Anatoly A. Leyrikh from Lublin
- Rotary Club Lublin Old Town
- PKP Cargo S. A.
- Department of Freight transport and transhipment in Malaszewicze
- “Agrostop” in Malaszewicze
- Housing Cooperative “Consent” in Biala Podlaska
- Municipal Cooperative “Self-Help Peasants” in Terespol
- “Taxa” in Malaszewicze
- Barbara and Ryszard Osypiuk from Terespol
- “Auto School” – Julian Wasil in Terespol
- The Team of Schools from Malaszewicze
- Public Schools Team No. 1 in Terespol
- Municipal Road and Bridge Service in Terespol
- Food Economy Bank S. Until. from Biala Podlaska
- Department of Education and Promotion of the MON in Warsaw
- Koden Municipal Office
- Piszczac Municipal Office
- Municipality of Sławatycze
- Antoni Sacharuk’s Orchard Farm
- Roman Catholic Parish in Terespol
- Tourist Agency “Juwentur” in Biala Podlaska
- Association for the Development of the Municipality in Terespol
- Krystyna and Zbigniew Banach
- Music store Sławomir Zyla in Biala Podlaska
- Chotylow Forest District